Super Eagles or Domestic fowls?


Where I come from, we rarely talk about hens. The only time a hen counts is when it has laid an egg or when it has hatched chicks. And in the chicks what gets noticed early is how many among them will grow up to become full blown cocks, to engage in the favourite past time of chasing hens for a quick lay.
Yet even as the chicks grow, there is always the fear of the eagle. The patient, sharp eyed and calculated bird that feeds on chicks. Many chicken keepers will tell you that the eagle is the ultimate enemy in chicken farming.


Why all this chicken crap?
Watching the Nigerian super eagles play I was left wondering whether they were really eagles or domestic fowls. I really did not know whether the roles had been reversed and the eagles had become chicken to the Greeks.

Things were not any better when Sam Kaita was sent off for a stupid stud kick on Greece's Vassilis Torosidis and I guess that is when things hit a rock. Disjointed and unco-ordinated football became the norm as the Greeks enjoyed themselves with two goals to their credit.


At the end of the match I told myself Chineke!! Chineke !! I should have watched a pirated low picture low sound nigerian movie, I could have felt better.


What the Ogas did to me was to send me asking whether I have a reason to support African teams in 2010 SWC games. Or am I too ambitious supporting fowls for a game that should be played by real eagles?

The other day it was Bafana Bafana they were whipped by Paraguay like errant schoolboys in the era of caning in schools.

Is it really time for Africa or we are chasing a mirage? I think from now on I will watch the game with a tinge of pessimism for African teams, so that when they lose I will not end up with a heartache. I am now convinced that we have fowls in a game of eagles.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safari ya Bamba Si Machero.......

What students did for their former Principal will leave you in tears.....

Breaking from the past, an effort to create a new Elburgon